Sunday, June 30, 2024

“The Patrol”

 
 
 Please enjoy this short story, I wrote it as a lead up to tomorrow's battle. I will be playing through a solo scenario and photographing the game. Afterwards I will be writing up the battle report and publishing it on the 4th of July. 

 

Thanks for following along! 

 



The night air was cool, and the moonlight glistened off the surface of the Silver River as we moved silently through the thick underbrush. My name is Sergeant Tomas Harrow, and tonight, my squad and I were far from the safety of our encampment in Cardinalia. Our mission was clear yet heavy with danger: to uncover the rumoured location of a Berylian cache of Lunarite, a substance that has altered the fate of both nations.

 

As the captain of a veteran patrol unit, I had been witness to several skirmishes along the volatile borders. Still, rumours of what Lunarite could do had added a sharp edge to our duties. The high command believed that obtaining more of this resource could be the key to overpowering Beryl's technologically advanced weaponry.

 

We approached silently, the only sound being an occasional night bird. My men were alert, their eyes darting over the shadowed terrain in search of any sign of the enemy. As we moved closer to the source, the soft murmur of voices shattered the night's quiet. With a silent hand gesture, I ordered my men to conceal themselves close to the ground.

 

I saw them through the bushes: a small contingent of Beryl troops, an officer with his men, guarding a nondescript wooden crate stamped with unfamiliar symbols—the Lunarite. They were well-armed. Their body language and the way they held their weapons spoke to them expecting trouble.

 

The direct engagement was too dangerous given our small numbers, but the Lunarite had to be recovered. I retrieved the map from its case and plotted our approach, using the terrain to our advantage. Our best bet was a swift, decisive strike catching the guards before they could react fully.

 

I turned to my men, whispering the plan as softly. "We strike hard and fast, secure the crate, and retreat before they can regroup. Remember, speed is our ally tonight."

 

There were nods of agreement at my words, and we prepared our weapons. Looking into the faces of my men, my resolve steeled: for Cardinalia; for our future, we could not afford to fail.

 

I uttered the signal; and, like shadows, we converged upon the target of our encounter: an encounter that would undoubtedly engulf us in the fires of battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something different!

  I am happy to share today these two restoration pieces I have finished. The figures are from Manoil Toys. Manoil figures closely resembl...